Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Kemp Project: Wireless Fun

The Kemp Project: Wireless Fun

Kemp astounds me once again with a tale of scary wireless power. The Talk of frying pigeons reminded me of something I once heard involving routing and birds. After a quick Google I found RFC1149 a proposal for TCP (Transmission by Carrier Pigeon) protocol. A Couple more searches and I discovered that some crazy LUG has actually implemented this protocol. Managing to ping each other.

A Website with photos etc can be found at here make sure you check the ping log. It even makes my hall of residences "Super Fast" internet connection seem good.
I don't quite know the range of a pigeon off the top of my head but I bet its slightly further than 5k. Though the onset of shooting season this weekend may cause unacceptable packet loss. Also if you live anywhere near trafalgar square its possible you may suffer from DOS attacks

1 comment:

Kemp said...

Heh, I remember reading that. At least we know that in our post-apocalyptic future (not of my making) we'll still have proper protocols for exchanging data :-)