Sunday, August 06, 2006

Awesome Forces


Well this weekend I had the privilege of seeing The Aquabats. A band that I now class as possibly the best band in the world narrowly beating LTJ and the Fish because of their Super Rad =p live performance

The Aquabats are your average ordinary superhuman. Punishers of evil, rock and roll band. designated to save this crazy world. Fronted by MC Bat Commander, they fight enemy's such as Powdered Milk Man and the The Floating Eye of Death armed with nothing but Their superhero uniform of rashguards, anti negativity helmets, and eye masks and some fantastic tunes

musically its a kind of ska/punk/electronica/rock madness. Lyrically its genius, some of the tracks have a amazing poetry to them my partiular favorite example being captain Hampton and the midget pirates. The stage show has to be seen to be believed. With a video backdrop showing videos to the songs as they are played. The gig is split with interludes where this display shows mock commercials and "messages from the sponsors" which is a great touch.

The style of the gigs and band itself can be seen on their website
its Flash but I feel it works well and is one of the better band sites I've been to, I especially recommend the mini ep section of the media page. It lets you download damm near a whole album of b-sides which rocks.

As a sub note the lead singer MC Bat Commander was the voice of one of Cavin (the boy that was the bears friend) in the early gummi bears tv series. which can bring back memories for those of us old enough to remember it

if you ever get a chance to see this band Go they get a five star recommendation from me. I for one know that I shall be joining the Aquacadets and cant wait for the next UK gig. Serious Awesomeness

No comments: